Whitney Museum, Speakeasies, and Freedom!

Whitney Museum of American Art - New York, NY - Apr 3, 2011

Whitney Museum of American Art - New York, NY - Apr 3, 2011

So, Sunday, April 3, 2011 was a special day and a great end to a wonderful weekend.

Let’s go back to Friday, April 1. After work, I bought a new cast iron grill pan. Then that evening, there was a going away party at Hudson Eatery (located at 601 West 57th Street) for a co-worker of mine at WCBS 880 who was taking a new job. I had a yummy burger, plus fun.

On Saturday, April 2, I did some catching up with my DVR and Doctor Who. I got into it a few months ago and am trying to catch up to where the show is now before the series 6 premiere. Then that afternoon, I went to the pillow fight in Union Square, came home, posted my photos and cooked up some dinner. You can see my photos in three parts – 1, 2, 3.

So, on to Sunday. My friend Penny and I hadn’t seen each other in a while, so we made tentative plans to hang out that day. When I got in touch with her to finalize the plans, I told her we would have reason to celebrate, but not what that reason was. So, we planned to meet at the Whitney Museum of American Art (which I had yet to visit) at 3:45 p.m. We met up and saw the Edward Hopper exhibit. His stuff is great and it was especially cool to see his Early Sunday Morning because my parents bought me a print of it for the wall behind the couch in my apartment. While we were still in the Hopper exhibit, I told Penny that I wouldn’t tell her the reason for celebration until we had drinks in our hands.

So, we went on and checked out the other exhibits and, after about an hour and a half or so at the Whitney, then headed to Bemelmans Bar at the Carlyle Hotel. Why there? Neither of had been. So, we cozied up to the bar, ordered drinks, and I told Penny the great news. Since about about September of 2006, I have worked the very early morning shift – getting to work as early as 3:45 a.m. and, when I was still living with my parents, getting up as early as 1:40 a.m. For over a year now, I’ve been working the 4:45 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. shift. This meant that I really only had two nights a week where I could go out without really dragging the next day. Well, effective April 4, that changed! I now have human hours and Penny totally agreed it was reason to celebrate! It was the first Sunday evening in years that, without actually having the next day off, I didn’t have to stress about getting to sleep!

So, after that, we drove down to a speakeasy in the East Village that Penny knew. It’s called Angel’s Share (located inside Village Yokocho at 8 Stuyvesant Street). We had drinks, plus sashimi and a soft shell crab salad. All yummy! Penny even had an Earl Grey infused cocktail!

We still had some celebrating in us, so we then headed down to another speakeasy that Penny knew. This time, The Mulberry Project at 149 Mulberry Street in Little Italy. They don’t have a drink menu. They make custom cocktails. You tell them what you like and the fashion a drink to meet your tastes. Nicholas (could be Nicolas – he’s French) made me a gin-based cocktail that included fresh blackberries! Penny and I had short rib sliders and the best truffle fries I’ve ever tasted! I highly recommend you check this place out!

After that I took Penny home and there ended a great weekend!

– Evan Bindelglass

This entry was posted in Food, Photography, Thoughts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Whitney Museum, Speakeasies, and Freedom!

  1. Kristin Brænne says:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s